Wednesday, October 23, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Wednesday!  All is well at 811. It was a great day. I enjoyed being back in the school atmosphere. I made individualized lesson plans for the younger students I will be tutoring and tomorrow I will make plans for older students. As it turns out because I have been out of the public school classroom for more than 12 consecutive months I can work as many hours as I want and it will not interfere with my retirement. If I so choose I can go back full time with a school district without it interfering with my retirement either. The children and staff seemed to be genuinely glad that I was there and I am looking forward to working with all of them. 

Lord, I choose the abundant life you offer and the eternal life you promise. I chose a long time ago to follow you. The path of seminary is one that is not traveled by so many. Lord, I am very close to finishing. Lord, do not let me fail you or return from following after you.  Please strengthen me by your word to complete what you have begun. I love you Lord. In Jesus name, Amen

Tonight after dinner we watched the movie “Cool Runnings.” It is one of our favorites. In the final scene the Jamaican bobsled team has crashed their bobsled prior to the finish line. The captain of the team takes off his helmet and he sees the finish line knowing that his team will not cross it for the desired medal. And I began to cry.  I see the finish line and I am determined to cross over and receive my degree. There just seem to be obstacles to the finish line. Satan seems to be working very hard right now to keep me from reaching the goals God has set before me.  The obstacles are my own confidence that something will keep me from reaching the goal of this degree and future ordination. And then I remember...this path was ordained by God and has molded me into the person God desires me to be—for better or worse I have believe I have followed the path that has led to God. So my friends and family, I ask for your prayers for strength over the next few weeks to complete the work set before me and to be faithful and rely on God that all is in control by God and I need not fear.  I ask for your prayers for Bruce’s continued healing and progress. Those four men from Jamaica battered and bruised got out of their broken bobsled and carried their boat on the ice and over the finish line. They finished their race with grace and honor.  By God’s grace and the prayers of those who have followed this journey I pray to kneel at UCC and be hooded by one of the faculty as a sign that this part of the journey is complete and I have been found fit to receive this degree and faithful in the sight of God. This path has never been easy for me, but it has been the most remarkable journey and has shaped me for service.   

“I will follow your rules forever, because they make me happy. I will try to do what you demand forever, until the end.”

Psalm 119: 111-112

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

 

No comments: