Monday, September 16, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Monday!  Bruce continues to work hard in rehab. He takes joy in seeing family. Our nephew, niece and great niece came for a visit today. We loved seeing them and Libby, our great niece loved playing with Luther!

“Consider it all joy…when you encounter various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.”
James 1: 2-3

Please don’t consider me prideful, but consider me having persevered!  Two months ago today Bruce suffered the stroke.  I found myself for a few moments unable to breathe and have a clear thought. And I was anything, but joyful!  This was a serious situation of which I had little knowledge and all I could finally think was, “He is alive.” And “How much of Bruce will I have when he wakes up after the surgery? “ 

I don’t think God really expects us to feel joy at the beginning of a difficult or serious life threatening or life altering situation.  I need time to consider the situation and for my feelings to settle down. It is so hard to think clearly when my emotions are filling my brain, heart, and the rest of my body. Even though I began to pray immediately after being told of Bruce’s stroke, they were prayers of desperation and begging for the life of my husband. But after the surgery and we went to ICU they let me stay with him. Bruce’s nurse brought me a warm blanket. It was then I began to breathe again and calmed down enough to invite God into my thoughts calmly. I tried to look from God’s perspective.  First, I gave thanks that Bruce was alive. I think I watched him breathe for most of the night. After another warm blanket arrived I rested and invited God into my thoughts. I asked God to help me work through the many tasks that I would have to encounter as Bruce healed. I counted it joy that Bruce was alive. But I also realized that I had no idea how long recovery would take, predict what recovery would mean or have any control over the future. I also asked myself, “Am I equal to enduring whatever this new life would ask of me?” 

Here’s the thing. I began to count it in joy that I was given the honor to help take care of Bruce, not only as a care giver, but as his wife. We have been given the blessing of walking this new adventure together. God has enabled us to persevere moment by moment.  This my friends, brings me great joy.

Take joy in whatever journey you are walking and remember that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake.  Love you , Bruce and Gaylene

 

No comments: