Friday, September 20, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Friday!  Tonight was snuggle on the couch and movie night!  It was so nice. Tomorrow we are going to Allen to celebrate our great niece’s third birthday!  I haven’t seen my family in two months and I am looking forward to the day and the visit.

A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.”

Proverbs 17: 22

I remember the day I faced down Satan at MD Anderson Hospital while Casey was receiving treatment. It was a life altering change. Even though the journey was the most grievous path of  grief and loss a parent can experience I did not let Satan steal my joy.  I learned on that day that my broken heart needed did not need to be healed before my heart and mind could be cheerful and full of joy.  The power of joy was in me all the time in the name of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit empowered me to live through the circumstances of facing the loss of our son.

When I read this proverb tonight I was reminded of that day and knew that I needed to recall that same power of the Holy Spirit.  My spirit could not be happy when I was filled with negative “spare me’s!” Once again had I let Satan enter into my heart and mind and try to steal my joy. I asked the Holy Spirit to let me look at my thoughts in positive ways; in Holy Light.  Satan knows right where to attack me; through my family.  God has worked with me throughout the day to refresh my mind with reminders of the constant love and precious grace that has begun to bring about healing to my injured soul. The presence of God is permanently and deeply embedded in me and that brings me great joy.  I do not wish to have to relearn this lesson again, but if I do may I recall how the love of God is within me and empowers me to face whatever the circumstances may be.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep.  God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: