Sunday, September 8, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Blessed Sunday to you all!  I have spent the day reading for class, writing a brief paper for a class on Tuesday all to the tune of a Harry Potter Marathon. I still have a class for which to read so I will repeat today’s activities tomorrow without writing a paper. I have begun to notice that when Bruce slows down his speech often the initial sounds of the words he tries to say match the word he wants. He may have been doing this all along and I just now understand. Maybe God is opening my ears to greater understanding and easing my frustration just a bit and increasing Bruce’s speech skills. I have also learned that I do not know how to correct words by repeating them to Bruce. Someone with specialized skills gets to do that. I am grateful for every step and each breath. Team Chrystie for the win! God is good and love wins.

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

1 Thessalonians 5: 18

Sometimes this is a tough verse.  It is that word all that gets us. Recently I have had trouble being thankful for all things. I then got tired of  having the “spare me’s”  and so I washed the dishes. While washing the dishes I began to pray and give thanks to the author and giver of life for every good and perfect gift I have received. I gave thanks for a house with working A/C, water and dishes, a healthy family etc…and then tonight the opening sentence of my meditation says, “EVERY TIME YOU THANK ME, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I AM YOUR LORD AND PROVIDER.” It is hard to give thanks when experiencing a time of trial or a tough day. The good news is that God knows us into the depths of our hearts and when we go to our heart of hearts found there is the deep desire to please God. Offering thanks to God when having a rough time pleases God. This sacrifice of thanksgiving tells God that we are dependent on Him for everything even our very next breath. God is the giver of every good and perfect gift we receive beginning with our faith.  Some of us were just meant to persevere. I really believe if we persevere in this practice of the sacrifice of thanksgiving, resisting the temptation to gripe and complain we will find joy and peace in the midst of our struggles. This is a practice I am trying to incorporate into my prayer life. It is not easy, but I am asking God to bless my efforts and reminding me of how much I am loved and how much I love God.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes and pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: