Tuesday, August 20, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Tuesday! Today I attended my first last day of classes at Brite Seminary. It was a bitter sweet day as I walked to the library for an extra coffee with a friend and as I left Bruce at home to care for himself and wait on the transport van. He did perfectly by the way. He even made the bed before he left. The transport driver called me a little after 8:00 to tell me he had been picked up. I gave thanks and drew a breath. As soon as Bruce walked in the door this afternoon he wanted to know all about my day. All through this seven year journey in graduate school he has always asked me about every day and wanted to know any and all I had experienced and learned. I was afraid that this last semester I would not be able to share this part of my life with him. But once again I was wrong. He continually surprises me with what he knows and remembers. I just wish he could share more of what goes on in his day so I could listen with the passion with which he listens to me. Someday…God is so good and love wins.

  It has been seven year road of learning, growing, making lifelong friends, experiencing deep sadness at the loss of Casey and Mom and going through this journey with Bruce.  I have read more in the last seven years than I have read in my entire collective lifetime. I have written more and have become a learning junkie. I have been told that learning is addictive and I am an addict. As much as I am excited about graduating I know I will miss going to school. 

“Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.”

Psalm 37: 5

When I first entered seminary I had not written an essay in 30 years. I wrote my entrance essay without sending it to Bruce for editing.  The comments that came back to me were to take advantage of the Writing Center. My content was good, but my form, structure, grammar etc…left a lot to be desired!  I thought I could do this on my own.  When I went back and read that first essay and my first theology paper I was embarrassed because they were pretty awful. Professor comments affirmed to me that I needed some extra help. I really wanted to do this on my own, but I finally figured out that I needed a second set of eyes to look at my writing and point out the “errors of my ways.”  What I discovered was that my awareness of the need for help actually became strength. I needed help with my own insufficient abilities. I needed Bruce’s strength in his editing abilities to do a better job. It is this part of the journey that we have walked together.

I have also learned that I have a deep need for God and the profound strength offered to gain strength. During my time at seminary I mentioned that I have experienced great personal tragedy and loss. I know I am not sufficient to work through school and personal issues on my own. I need God and the strength given by the Holy Scriptures, a daily relationship of prayer and meditation, community and a committed collaboration with Divine leadership that guides me each step of the way.  The way I know that God is a collaborative leader is because I ask God to lead me.  When I ask God to lead then I must be committed to follow and trust that that leadership even if I don’t understand and even if it is seemingly leading me away from my heart’s desire.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: