Wednesday, August 14, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy, happy, happy Wednesday!  Team Chrystie is changing its call sign to 811 Austin Street. When Bruce and I got back to his apartment I have never seen him pack the groceries so fast. He was like a blur. After arriving at home our basset boys bookended him on the couch and the scratching and groaning when on for quite a while as I put the groceries away.  Geni came over and we had a wonderful dinner. I think the best part was that Bruce led our table song we sing for grace remembering all of the words and the harmonies. It was such a blessing. So far, so good on our first night at home. I have delivered medications on time and prepared his medications for tomorrow. His lunch is made and he will be picked up between 8:15 and 8: 30 in the morning. I think he was a bit confused about the outpatient process. When I reminded him that the transport van would be picking him up in the morning his response was “why?” So it may take a few days to get this clear in routine.  On the other hand he came home and reconnected the Direct TV and fixed my closet door. You can’t keep a good handyman down!  God is good and love wins!!

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again:  Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

Philippians 4: 4-5

“Rejoice in me always.” Tonight’s devotional reading is titled JOY. What a perfect way to end my day embracing the extraordinary joy God gives us during the hardest of times because God is always near. God is a near as our whispered words and next breath. God is always available to help us in the most adverse of times. I am overjoyed that Bruce is home. I am also a bit overwhelmed that I am his care giver and wife. Being his wife has always brought me great joy and being his care giver requires responsibility on so many levels. It is a fine line I walk.  It is in these moments of transition that I must draw on the joy that only our ever present God in the power of the Holy Spirit can provide.  And then I also remember the love I have for Bruce and I realize what an honor I have been given to be Bruce’s care giver. God has returned him to our home independent in his movement and motivated to relearn all that the stroke diminished. The journey we will walk from here on out will take whatever time it needs to take for Bruce to be completely restored to wellness. And no matter how long it takes we will walk in the abiding presence of God together.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all from home, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: