Friday, August 16, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Friday!  I have been reading on Facebook lately and I have seen a new acronym for TGIF; Today God is First. Imagine what our lives would be like if we began each day with this wonderful phrase. This morning got off to a better start; lunchbox, shoes and sock on, back pack and off to the clinic.  Today, Bruce was asked the question, “How often do you go to rehab?” His response was, “Monday through Friday.”  I was so excited. A few days ago the answer would have been nonsense or “I don’t know.” Or a shoulder shrug.  Baby steps...giving thanks and learning to live together. We are learning to live together again, trying to make waking and sleeping schedules mesh. It is easy to be a care giver to a sick child, but it is different when it is your husband.  Today was better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better still. Communication is an interesting thing around here and we play a lot of 20 questions and “show me.”  We usually figure it out and if we don’t then it gets tables until next time. God is good and love always wins!

Prayer request:  Travis leaves for Minnesota on Sunday for training for his new job. Please pray for his travel safety and that Sarah will be okay while he is gone. He will be gone for a week. Thanks.

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.”

Psalms 90:14

The ordination committee someday will ask me why they should ordain me. The first reason is that I am authentically a pastor. I can’t carry the title yet, but I know that is what God has called me to be.  But the other reason is that I want others to see themselves as God sees them.  I try to see the glimpses of God in those I meet and share with them God’s approval.  I often look at myself in the mirror and I do not approve of what I see. But God looks beyond our temporal selves and sees us through His righteousness for all eternity. Our image in the mirror changes all the time, but the image God has of us does not change. God sees us through the eyes of a Creator as His beloved children. God’s approval of us continues for all eternity. That’s a long time!!! My devotion tonight presents a wonderful picture of the approval of God for us. Imagine sand going through a sieve and searching for gold. We often look at the grains flowing through the sieve and ignoring the nuggets that remain. The gold nuggets that remain are the part of us that God sees. All of the extra falls away and what remains is the precious soul that God sees and desires above all else to spend all of eternity with. Let us rest in the assurance of God’s unfailing love and rejoice in the joy of God’s Presence. 

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares on the LORD and get some sleep. God is awake all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

 

 

No comments: