Saturday, April 6, 2013


Happy Saturday! 

I opened my meditation book to day and these were the first two entries:

“Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence.”

Psalm 42: 5

“Even when our situation appears to be impossible our work is to “hope in God.” Our hope will not be in vain, and in the Lord’s own timing, help will come.”

                                                                        George Mueller

This is such a wonderful affirmation to the writing from last evening.  My faith and belief system is pretty well embedded. Sometimes this strong faith base finds me in battle with some of the reading I have to do for my classes. Right now I am reading a book written by an author who is arguing against atonement theology. Atonement theology is the belief that Jesus was ordained by God to die on the cross for our sins. Jesus atoned for our sins once and for all with His words, “It is finished!”  It is in the resurrection hope where we live out each day of our lives. It is like the ship that had help to be anchored in the harbor; even though the waters were rough, once it was anchored the anchor stayed put.  Mr. Mueller states so simply that we are to place our hope in God and our hope is not placed in vain because it is firmly anchored in the living God, the resurrected Christ. The psalmist tells us to hope in God and to trust in God’s perfect timing.

I am able to choose my own topic for a final paper in the class I spoke of earlier. I am going to write my own argument for atonement theology through the lens of The Prodigal Son.  I ask for your prayers as I begin this research and for a paper that is written not just worthy of the professor’s academic standards, but which will be a worthy witness to what I believe to be the truth about the cross of Christ. Without the cross of Christ we would still be sacrificing animals and wandering in the desert without a model of hope on which to anchor our faith. 

Take joy in the journey being assured that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer alert:  Bruce is currently preparing to serve on two Kairos Prison Ministry weekends. I would ask you to pray for the stamina it will take for service on these two weekend events and that God’s presence would not be denied and Satan would be barred outside the doors of the prison. If there was ever a community God’s children who are in need of hope it is the brothers and sisters within prison walls. These folks are largely a forgotten community by the outside world, but they are not forgotten by God and those who are called to serve this community. Thank you. Peace, gc

No comments: