Tuesday, November 27, 2012


Happy Tuesday! 

Two more classes and the end of the semester will be complete. Chapel at Brite was a set of nine lessons and carols.  It was a lesson of scripture and song.  I was honored to read the passage from Luke of the foretelling of the birth of Jesus to Mary by the angel.  I love that story and I loved getting to read it in our last chapel for the semester.

Prayer: Holy One, I praise You today for Your power, glory and creation. Most of all, I praise You for sending Your Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the Cross for me. Help me to do what You have called me to do this day, and I trust You to do the rest. Amen.

“I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.”
I Corinthians 3: 6

God is at work.  My friend Lisa is an avid gardener.  She loves to plant, has the patience to water and discipline to pull the weeds.  But more importantly, my dear friend Lisa knows that neither she nor anyone else can accomplish anything without God.  Even though the planting, watering and weeding is hard work for someone like me, it is easy for her.  What is hard is the mystery of the seeds sprouting under the earth and breaking through to the top of the soil and so on for the seed to become the mature plant God intended it to be. And this miracle happens so often that we take it for granted.

Paul planted the seeds of the word of God.  Apollos followed along behind and watered the Word.  It does not take any special skill to do what Paul and Apollos did.  They shared the Word and watered it by encouraging others to pay attention and act on this Holy document.  Then the miracle happened as it was planted in the hearts and allowed to grow under the surface until it sprouted forth in action. Peter said believers have “been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever” (1 Peter 1: 23).  Remember, God gives the increase, and we must stay focused on our work, trusting God to His. 

Take joy in the journey and get your hands dirty.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 


No comments: