Wednesday, October 31, 2012


Happy  Wednesday and Happy Halloween! 

I have been asked by the Dean of Brite Divinity School to meet with four members of the Board of Trustees and share with them why I chose Brite Divinity School, some of the challenges I have encountered and any thoughts I have for improving the school.  WOW!  Please pray as I prepare to share with these folks.  I felt very humbly honored to be asked.

Prayer:  “Lord, thank You for saving me. What a joy to know that I belong to You!  Your love amazes me. I thank You for using someone else to get the gospel to me. Help me to see myself as a link in your chain of grace. Help me pass the faith along today. Amen.”

“Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.”
1 Corinthians 3: 8

On Tuesday evenings one of my classes is called Theological Reflection. It is a group of students like me who are in ministerial internship at a church.  We discuss each week what we are doing in each of our churches and ministry experiences. One of the students is a minister intern at the Wesley Foundation on the TCU campus.  One of the projects in which he is involved is a community garden.  The purpose of the garden is to provide fresh produce for those who are in need.  When he speaks of the garden he refers to the work on the garden as a partnership approach.  They sow many seeds, water regularly, try to keep ahead of the weeds and leave the rest to God and mother nature.

This text is about Paul and Apollos and their evangelism approach in Corinth.  Paul knew that the harvest of souls would always be better when they worked together.  Paul sowed the seeds of the gospel and Apollos watered the seeds with preaching and explanation of the gospel and encouraging those Corinthians to be responsive to the call of the gospel and then left the rest to God.

As believers we are all called to live a life in community.  The harvest is always better when we work together and the work is always easier.  When we plant and water we are all working for the same goal.  Our goal is for folks to see and meet Jesus in each of us as we live out the gospel in our lives. 

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.


Prayer alert:  Please pray for Sharon James and her family.  Sharon is a former school nurse with the school from which I retired.  Cancer has pretty overtaken her body and she has been battling for several years.  Please pray for her, her husband Jeff and their two children.  Sheis being moved to hospice tomorrow.  Thank you. Peace, gc

No comments: