Wednesday, October 31, 2012


Happy Tuesday!

I eat breakfast with one of my friends from Brite on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at McAllister’s. Each morning we have coffee in coffee mugs that have McAllister’s on one side and TCU on the other.  They have made these coffee mugs for sale.  So today I purchased one of these coffee mugs and got my breakfast for free.  A great way to start the day!

Prayer:  “Good morning Lord, I look forward to another day of walking with You. Because You are Lord of my life, I will follow You wherever You lead me.  Sometimes You have led me through difficult places and painful experiences, but You have never let me down. Lead on, O King Eternal! Amen.”

“Judge not and you shall not be judged, Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you: good measure pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”
Luke 6: 37-38

I am preparing a sermon to be delivered on Nov. 11 at Rush Creek Christian Church.  The sermon is from the text in Luke concerning the sinful woman who anoints the feet of Jesus with her own tears and fragrant expensive oil.  Within this text Jesus tells a parable to the host of the dinner where the woman is in attendance.  The host, Simon the Pharisee cannot imagine why Jesus is allowing this “sinful woman” to touch him in such a manner.  Jesus obviously does not know what kind of woman she is.  The woman receives forgiveness for her sins. Simon has a much more dangerous sin, believing himself superior to others, has spent his life acting in judgment over others.  Simon does not believe himself to be sinful, therefore he believes he can act in judgment over others. 

Most of us have not committed the sins of the “sinful woman”, but how many times have we spoken judgment about someone else.  We have all been guilty of this.  Nothing is easier than finding fault in someone else.  Judging comes naturally, but followers of Jesus are not slaves to what comes naturally.  Jesus transforms us and helps us to desire a more spiritual or super-natural way of thinking about others.  Jesus teaches us to think more like the way He thinks of others.  Jesus calls us to love others and not pass judgment.  Jesus tells us that He did not come to judge the world so what would ever make us think that we could hold that entitlement?

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Pray especially for our brothers and sisters in the east coast who are victims of Hurricane Sandy.  

No comments: