Saturday, August 11, 2012


Happy Friday! 

Bruce and I had a date tonight!  It was so wonderful to look across the table and see his wonderful face.  I have missed my time with him a great deal.  So here is the countdown: one week and two “on calls” to go!  I hope to write my final exam tomorrow or at least get a good start on it between phone calls while at Huguley.  Please pray for an outbreak of wellness for tomorrow.

Prayer: “Lord, I come to You at times with confused emotions. I trust that You are too good to ever be wrong. I ask for Your grace in this moment to endure the hard things of this life. Amen.”

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding: in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”
Proverbs 3: 5.6

Today I remembered my Mom.  It was her birthday. She would have been 79 years old today.  I remembered her throughout the day as I wore one of her bracelets and one of her T-shirts to dinner.  I also thought about my Daddy a lot and how their marriage was just short of 60 years and how much they loved each other.  Daddy was telling me the other night how he still gets up so carefully and quietly fearing that he will disturb her sleep and then remember that she is no longer with him.  This is a new reality for Dad as it is for all of us. He says that sometimes he thinks he will never get over her loss.  But I know that even though there is a large part of his heart that has a hole the size of a short woman with a brilliant smile and a loving heart he will continue on. 

For each of us who loved her, this verse is particularly appropriate.  We continue to face each day without this precious woman who was such a huge part of all of our lives.  But just as she taught each of us in her actions we are called to acknowledge God in ALL of our ways.  To acknowledge means that we should come to know the character and nature of our Creator through every trial, difficulty and unfulfilled dream as the opportunity to discover Christ’s lordship over our lives and trust in His love and care.  We can live without those who have gone on before us because we know the goodness of God and claim His promises in this verse to direct our paths, dry our tears and be assured because of the resurrection that we will not only be united with Christ, but with those we have loved so dearly.   

Please keep Daddy and all of us in your prayers as we walk through this first of several “firsts” without Mom.  Thank you friends and mighty prayer warriors.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer alerts:  Tatum Flaming, our young cousin, is in the hospital this weekend receiving chemo therapy.  Prayers for her and her family.

Prayers for Lenore.  She is the daughter of my supervising teacher who was very recently diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

Prayers for Randy Travis.  I know he is sort of a hot mess.  He has always been one of my favorite singers and I especially love his Christian music.  He just seems to have lost his way.  

No comments: