Sunday, August 12, 2012


Greetings from Huguley Hospital

Happy Saturday! 

One “on call” almost complete and one left to go.  I am not sure if I have shared with you what I will do following this journey of CPE. I will finish my clinical work this coming Friday the 17th.  My classes at Brite begin on Tuesday the 20th and I will return to Huguley for summer intern graduation on Friday the 24th, followed by final evaluation with supervisors and the intern group. 

During that week I will begin supervised ministry.  (I am not getting a break between adventures!) I will spend a year with the congregation of Rush Creek Christian Church in Arlington under the supervision of Pastor Chris Wilson, senior pastor of the church.  During the fall and spring semesters Pastor Chris has developed a plan to involve me in different ministries in which the church is involved so that I get a more complete picture of the workings of the church and this congregation.  I know you have prayed for me all summer, so since I am already on your list please keep me there as I continue on this journey of discernment and discipleship.  Also, pray for my dearest Bruce.  We have really missed our time together this summer.

Prayer:  “Dear God, when others meet me, I want them to know how loving and real you are in my life.  Please teach me to represent you well. Amen.”

“Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.”
Philippians 4: 5

“Let us hold true to what we have already attained and walk and order our lives by that. Brethren, together follow my example and observe those who live after the pattern we have set for you.”
Philippians 3: 16-17

The other day it was nearly the end of the regular work day and I was walking back to the office still cheerfully greeting those who passed me in the hallway.  One of the volunteers said, “You have entirely too much energy for this time of day! Why are you so cheerful at 4:30?” I answered, “Life is too short to be unhappy.”

It is not always easy to look happy all of the time.  And as we all know there are times we are not happy for whatever reason.  Sometimes there is great sadness or concern or anxiety over things that happen during the day.  The way we greet people can shape the way they see God.  If we are known to be Christians and someone meets us when we are having a voice of harshness or bitterness that person might assume that God is harsh and bitter towards us. 

Even in the most difficult of times I really try to find a blessing or some small element of good.  If we can find that small piece of goodness in a really tough time our hearts can have a gentle spirit and a trusting attitude that says no matter what I will trust in God to see me through.  If we can find a place of joy every day then those who greet us will see the loving kindness of God lived out in us. 

God works through us to show others how very real He is. Our example may encourage someone to experience the Presence of God is a precious and personal way.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: