Thursday, August 9, 2012


Happy Thursday! 

Last night was my last “on call” at John Peter Smith.  In an odd sort of way I will miss the intensity and the diversity of people and situations that occur in this hospital.  I will not miss the sleepless nights.  The lessons I learned and experiences in pastoral care were invaluable. 

Prayer:  “In this certain place I meet You this morning with a grateful heart that You are faithful to meet me and hear my prayers. I want to be in close contact with You.  I adore You and worship You, my God. Amen.”

“Now it came to pass, as he was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, ‘Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.”
Luke 11:1

Jesus was the model of the godly life He desired for the disciples to lead.  The disciples also knew that Jesus would go away to a special place each day to pray.  The place to pray was not what was important, but the priority of prayer in Jesus’ life was!  Jesus led a life of consistent prayer. 

Why did Jesus pray?  He was God’s only son. Why did he need to pray?  Jesus prayed to stay in communion with His heavenly Father to receive direction and instruction.  Jesus’ prayer life pleased God and with all of the burdens Jesus carried around He needed to have peace and joy restored by lifting these burdens.

If we are to pray like Jesus then we must find a certain place—a place for only ourselves and God. It must be a place of praise.  When we pray we offer our praise, make our requests known to God and then with boldness we ask God to search our hearts and motivations to help us understand why we ask for the things we ask.  Then we make a time for confession honestly to God knowing that our sins - no matter what they have been - will be forgiven. Prayer is not trying to change the heart of God—but allowing God to change our heart. 

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. (I know I am!!) Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis,


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: