Wednesday, August 1, 2012


Greetings from Huguley Hospital:  Chaplain’s Office

Happy Wednesday! 

I delivered worship to the chaplains this morning.  I spoke of how Jesus came among the Disciples after the resurrection.  He did not come in with a flash of light and trumpets sounding.  He came in and stood among them without their knowledge until He chose to reveal Himself to them.  Jesus revealed Himself with these words, “Peace be with you.”  The disciples were hidden away in fear for their lives following the crucifixion.  They were afraid, sad, broken-hearted and away from home.  When Jesus stood among them I believe He surveyed the situation and saw the emotional state of the Disciples and discerned what they needed. They did not need a sermon. They did not need a scolding or any admonition.  They needed a word of peace.

Can you imagine the change that occurred in that room when Jesus quietly, but with full authority commanded peace within the people gathered?  Instead of fear there was joy.  Instead of sadness there was gladness. I can imagine that the tension of being hidden away was lessened.  But I also imagine that it was in that moment the disciples and followers understood the meaning of the cross and why Jesus had to die.  He had to die so that He could rise again and send the power of the Holy Spirit back so that we might have a life with Jesus forever. 

I have had discussions with folks who have faith practices other than Christianity.  Many of those faiths have similar qualities to that of Christianity.  But there is one glaring difference in those other faith practices. We have the only God Who came back! 

In scripture we are not called to be Christians.  We are called to be followers of Christ. So my friends, as a follower of Christ, I pray peace be to you this day. Peace, not that the world might give, but the peace that passes all understanding that only Christ can give. 

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers, and if the opportunity presents itself today…speak a word of peace to someone who needs it, in Jesus’ name. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: