Monday, July 30, 2012


Happy Monday! 

Prayer: “Father, thank You for giving me a sound mind and for opportunities in which to serve You.  You know all things. Therefore, I trust You to see me through this day.  For every situation that arises I ask You to control my thoughts and restrain my flesh.  This is a day You have given me, and I desire to be a good representative of You.  Give me Your grace as I live this day for Your glory. Amen.”

“And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast of my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”
2 Corinthians 12:9

I met a patient in dialysis today.  I received a phone call that she needed to see a chaplain.  Upon my arrival I was witness to my first dialysis procedure.  I greeted the woman cheerfully but she greeted me with tears.  I took her hand as asked her what was wrong.  She told me her husband had been killed on Friday night.  He was on the way to pick her up from the hospital when he had some type of episode causing the car to crash and he was killed.  The couple had been married 46 years.  Here is the amazing part of the story.

The pastor of her church is also the police chaplain for the town in which she lives.  He was along with the police officers who were first on the scene.  It was the pastor with the police officers who delivered the news of her husband’s death.  She was granted grace to receive this terrible news by someone she loved, trusted and cared for instead of strangers in uniforms.  She told me “Chaplain, it was a God thing.”  I knew then I was in the Presence of God, His angels of comfort and a woman who was solid in her faith because the power of Christ rested upon her in her time of grief and sadness.

I was granted the grace to just be there with her in all of her tears, sadness, laughter and memories.  She looked so very tired and so I asked her to close her eyes and just breathe.  I began to sing, “I Need Thee Every Hour.” Again, God’s grace and presence was so powerful.  She began to sing with me.  It was a Holy moment for me and a place of rest for her.  Please pray for this dear woman as she begins to heal on so many levels. 

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: