Wednesday, July 4, 2012


Happy Wednesday and happy 4th of July! 

It has been a wonderful day.  This morning, Daddy, Linda and Johnnie (mom’s sister and her husband), my family and Ken’s family all gathered, dressed in red, white and blue, at Akers Cemetery near Sherman to bury Mom’s ashes.  I led a brief liturgy of scripture and prayer.  Daddy spoke of his eternal love for her and how lucky he was to have been her husband for almost 60 years.  I spoke specifically to Ken about how we are her legacy in so many ways. We will always remember her brilliant smile, her loving heart, her unwavering faith and wisdom to always put family first.  We closed in prayer and benediction. After that, we departed to do just what Mom would have us do to be with family and to “just keep the party going!”

Prayer:  “Lord Jesus, I praise Your name for being my provider and protector as I seek to live for You this day.  I ask You to deliver me from evil learning and to enable me to finish my race with joy.  I desire to finish strong and influence the lives of the people You have placed around me during my journey here.  I submit myself to Your leadership and grace this morning.  In Jesus’ name. Amen”

“But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.”
I John 2: 27

As a Chaplain, when I walk into a patient’s room, I pray that I will say things that will make a difference in the patients’ lives, sometimes beginning with their anxiety about being in the hospital. I also pray that I will know when to speak and when to be silent.  Part of the skills I am learning from my teachers and the people with whom I am learning is this skill of speaking and silence.  Most of the time what I have to say is not near as important as what the patient has to say.  Learning to observe, listen and then speak is part of the training.

I learn a great deal from my teachers and the others with whom I work.  But the greatest teacher I will ever have is the Holy Spirit.  When I really make a connection with a patient I know it is not me, but the power of the Holy Spirit working through me to help this patient or their family.  Sometimes I know there are words of comfort or assurance I can offer to help, but I know God’s power, the Holy Spirit, has the power to bring comfort to one who is hurting, frightened, anxious or in deep sorrow. 

I need the teachers who are instructing me and I need the other chaplains to offer insight, but most of all I need my resident truth teacher, the Holy Spirit.  When I do not know what to say, I take a moment to quiet myself before God and ask God to help me understand and learn how I can best help someone.  I pray the Holy Spirit will continue to find me worthy of investing time in me as I continue to learn and remain in service to God.  I pray the Holy Spirit will make a difference in the lives of those God has placed before me.  Please continue to pray for me as I pursue this calling. Thank you for journeying with me.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: