Wednesday, July 4, 2012


Happy Tuesday! 

Preparations for the family 4th of July are almost complete.  The peach cobbler, flag cake and deviled eggs are finished.  I just need to write a brief service for the internment of Mom’s ashes.  Mom was such a patriotic gal.  When going through her things we found all sorts of flag pins, a copy of the Declaration of Independence and another of the Constitution, books on presidents and the Life and Look Magazines on the death of President Kennedy.  We decided that the 4th of July was the perfect day for this event. After interring the ashes, we will go to Ken and Sheena’s for swimming, fun and food.  It is a day Mom would have crafted herself.  She loved family get-togethers, good food and the love only a family could share.  Please offer a prayer for Daddy as it may be kind of tough on him.  Thanks. 

Prayer:  “Lord Jesus, thank you for the night’s rest and for watching over me while I slept.  It is so comforting to know that You never sleep or slumber.  Thank You for our ability to trust You and Your grace during the night as well as during the day.  May I dress myself in the armor of God this morning as I carry Your Word in voice and action into my life and into the lives of others. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

“Jesus answered, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.  That which is born of flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
John 3: 5-6

Nicodemus did not understand what Jesus meant about being “born again.”  If you read that story in isolation I would most likely not understand it either.  Jesus was not telling Nicodemus that he must physically return to infancy.  Jesus was telling Nicodemus that he was spiritually bankrupt.  Jesus was trying to tell Nicodemus that all of his worldly efforts and religious devotion meant nothing if there was not relationship with Himself.  Jesus was asking for something humanly impossible because entrance into the kingdom of heaven was contingent not on human effort, but on divine spiritual invitation.  Jesus was trying to tell Nicodemus that he was spiritually bankrupt and must abandon everything in which he had previously trusted for salvation.  Jesus explained that being born of water and the spirit was being willing to become spiritually cleansed through the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God. 

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  We serve a God who neither slumbers nor sleeps so there is no reason for both of you to be awake.  Count your blessing s and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: