Monday, June 25, 2012


Blessed Sunday! 

(Note: this is being submitted on Monday evening)

I made it through the 24 on-call at JPS.  I had fifteen calls and got one hour’s sleep.  I met calls in Trauma I (highest priority) and Trauma II (next highest priority). People have a variety of reasons for finding themselves in a trauma unit or an Emergency Room and the one thing they want is a word of assurance and hope that God is with them (whether they are strong believers or not).  Those who enter these units, whether by helicopter, ambulance or car, are frightened and sometimes alone.  I held hands with young and old and prayed with them, for the doctors and for all who are part of patient care. I prayed for God’s gifts of healing to work to perfection. I prayed for the patients’ restoration to wellness and gave them the assurance that God is with them out of His great love.

Prayer:  “Father, I need the anointing presence of the Holy Spirit to fill my life.  I want to be effective for You today.  Therefore, I surrender completely to Your control.   Fill me, Lord! In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, ‘You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.” 
Luke 3: 22

When one of my CPE teachers went around the group and asked what we wanted out of CPE I answered, “I want to make a difference.”  I am not sure where this calling of pastoral care is going to lead, but my answer is still the same, “I want to make a difference.”  Another way of saying that is I want to be an effective servant for God.  I have asked God to use me to make an impact on the people around me.  I do not mean to make the impact, but I ask God to impact others through me.  When I walk into a patient’s room I pray to be transparent so that who they see is God.  The only way I know to be transparent is to put my own agenda aside and ask the Holy Spirit to manifest itself in me.  As a child of God I don’t need for the world to be impressed with me, but to be impressed with God under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. 

I have written in the past that when I reach heaven and I stand before God I want Him to say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  While still here on earth I want to please God. I know any works I do for my own glory will not please God, but if I remain under the control of the Holy Spirit then whatever God desires will be effective.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.   Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis. 


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS. Thank you for all of your prayers. I made it home around 9:00 am and have had two long naps.  I am now in bed for the night.  Please continue to pray for me as I continue to adjust to this schedule.  I have another on call at JPS this Wednesday night from 6:00 PM to 8:00 AM and then back to Huguley.  Thank you. Peace, gc

No comments: