Friday, June 29, 2012


Happy Friday! 

I have now pulled two all-nighters at JPS.  I seem to be okay during the time I am at the hospital.  The next day recovery, though, is really hard.  It takes all day and all night following the all-nighter for me to recover.
 
I really love the patients and the staff.  Sometimes the situations are hard especially in the Trauma bays, but it is fascinating to watch the docs, nurses and all who participate in patient care including the police officers, ambulance drivers or helicopter pilots.  They all have one purpose: to do all they can to quickly assess the patient’s needs, set up tests and x-rays and save the patient.  The trauma team sees the great need for chaplains and seem really glad when we are on the floor. They know that we not only pray for the patients but for them, also.
 
Prayer:  “Father, I do not want to fear the wonderful practice of witnessing for You.  It is an honor to testify of Your grace and greatness.  Help me to depend daily on the power You provide to be an effective witness.  
Amen.”
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Acts 1: 8

I was on call at JPS from 6:00 PM Wednesday evening until 8:00 AM Thursday morning.  My shift began with the same issue; the death of two patients.  At 6:00 pm, I received a call from Labor and Delivery to minister to a mother who had delivered a stillborn child. Upon my arrival the mother and the baby were in the bed together.  The mother was silently mourning the loss of this beautiful baby girl.  The baby was dressed in a little white dress and wrapped in a tiny pink blanket as if she was about to be presented at church.  The little one looked perfect and simply appeared as if she was sleeping.
 
My last call of the shift came shortly before 7:00 am to the bedside of a woman who was born in 1922.  Her appearance was not perfect.  The color changes that occur in the death process had taken over and this dear lady looked like an email I once read.  The email was told by a woman who said, “I want to die feet first, sliding into heaven raising dust, body all used up, coffee in one hand and chocolate in the other.”  After speaking with the patient’s children I found that this woman had done just this.  She had a rich life with many stories to tell.

Here is the interesting part, both of these bodies were no longer able to sustain life and yet both of these souls are safely and joyfully being held in the arms of the Father.  The tiny one will never know her earthly father, but will be raised and taught by her Heavenly Father.  The elder woman will have stories to tell to that same heavenly Father, giving thanks for her life on earth, for the children she treasured and for being welcomed into heaven as a believer. One never saw her earthly home and one left her earthly home with the same destination.
 
As difficult as it was to walk into these two rooms I realize how important it is for me to rely on the power of God and to simply be the vessel through whom He will begin to comfort these tender hearts.  There are no words of comfort for these folks, but being a silent witness for God allows for the Ministry of Presence to what families in these situations need.  Sometimes witness in the power of the Holy Spirit requires words and sometimes it calls for a few or even no words, letting these families know that God understands because He has suffered grief and loss Himself.

Take joy in the journey even when it is hard.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some rest.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love  you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.


No comments: