Friday, May 25, 2012


Happy Thursday! 

I am too old to be writing a paper at 1:30 AM, but that is what happened last night.  My beloved husband stayed up with me and edited into the night.  But I presented the paper today and all went well.  This class is amazing and I am somewhat sad that it will end so soon.  The pace has been grueling, but so very worth it.  The professor is brilliant and I would take another of her classes just because she is teaching.  But she will go back to Los Angeles and her students at Hebrew Union College this weekend. She needs to know that she has made an indelible mark on 11 students from Texas. 

Prayer:  “Father, give me a heart of forgiveness that does not hold a grudge or look to be offended.  As an act of my will, I choose to forgive those who would cause me offense or harm just as You have forgiven me for the harm and offense I have done against You.  In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”

“And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.”
Luke 11:4A

Tonight I am going to summarize the story that is written in my meditation.  It is a story of Corrie ten Boom.  She is the author of the book The Hiding Place, the story of two Dutch sisters who hid Jews in a closet during WWII to protect them from the German authorities.  She and her sister were taken to Ravensbrook women’s prison camp. One of the indignities they endured was the showers.  The sisters and other women were humiliated, degraded and ogled by the guards.  After the war was over, Corrie believed she finally found forgiveness for the men who had been so cruel to the prisoners at the camp. She went on to preach forgiveness for individuals and for all of Europe.  

One evening, she preached in Munich. Following the sermon, a man came over to her and told her how glad he was that Jesus forgives all of our sins.  Corrie remembered his face. He was one of the guards who had seen her in the showers. As much as she had preached about forgiveness, she found she could not find forgiveness in her heart for this one.  As she shook his hand she prayed, “Lord forgive me, I cannot forgive.”  As she prayed she felt forgiven and accepted in spite of her reputation as a famous forgiver.  After this prayer her body relaxed and the icyness of her heart began to melt and she was able to forgive as she was forgiven. 

We are not called to change other people.  But we are called to ask for God to change our attitude toward them when someone offends us.  Sometimes that change comes about through the act of our own forgiveness. 

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. (I am tonight!”)  Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: