Saturday, May 26, 2012


Happy Friday! 

Today was our last day of class.  We studied Ecclesiastes and Esther.  I learned something very interesting (I learned many, many things, but this one was really interesting.)  In Jewish temple worship there are two scrolls from which the rabbi reads:  The Torah and Esther.  Here is the interesting part…The Torah is the most sacred scroll in all of Judaism and Esther is the most secular and yet these are the two scrolls read in temple worship.  There is no mention of God in Esther and no recorded historical evidence of the story being a part of actual events in Jewish history. 

The closing moments of our class almost made me cry.  One of our classmates is a Jewish man studying Old Testament at Brite before going to rabbinic school.  He works in a temple in Dallas as their rabbi cantor.  He brought the traditional challah bread to class.  In the closing moments of our class we recited in Hebrew and then in English the blessing over the bread.  It was a very touching moment when this young man led us in the blessing and then shared the bread with each of us.  It is a moment I will not soon if ever forget. 

Prayer:  “Father, I will trust in Your faithfulness that I will not be tempted beyond what I am able and that by Your grace, You will make a way of escape (1 Cor. 10: 13). In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

“And do not lead us into temptation.”
Luke 11:4b

The word temptation can mean the enticement to sin or a trial meaning testing.  In Luke 11:4 the meaning is temptation that, if yielded to, will lead us into sin. Here is an interesting thought about this word temptation: “an unforgiving heart is the pathway to an overwhelmed saint. If we aren’t careful, God’s test of forgiveness can turn out to be our temptation to sin because scripture teaches in James 1:13 that God does not tempt anyone, and in vs. 14 says, ‘But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.”  This verse from James is a great partner verse to the verse from Luke.  Let us not be overwhelmed by temptation.  Satan tempted Jesus in the wilderness, but Jesus was not overwhelmed. 

My first principal in Fort Worth had a plaque in her office that read, “Lead me not into temptation for I can find it myself.”  I always found this saying quite funny.  But I think here it applies.  We are all tempted at times, but we do not have to be helpless victims of temptations of sin because God loves us so much and by His grace we are overcomers.  1 John 5:4 says, “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world.  And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.” 

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Be safe on this Memorial Day weekend.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all.  Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: