Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy Thursday!

Today was a bit intense at TCU. After my first class this morning I walked to lunch with one of my classmates. We walked by the bookstore that was swarming with police and a helicopter was circling overhead and news trucks with reporters, cameras and microphones were at every corner. It will be an interesting time at school until they get all of this sorted out. I just hope that they figure it out soon. Please keep praying for the population at TCU and those whose lives are changed forever by the choices they have made.

Prayer: “Father, thank You for the gift of this new day. My prayer is simple, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” (Psalm 51: 10) I look forward to the new things You are going to do in me today! Amen.”

2 Corinthians 5: 17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, behold all things have become new.”

I received a gift this week. The story goes like this. About four years ago Mom took several thousand dollars out of an account and gave it to Daddy with the instructions to go and buy himself a new pick-up truck. He returned with a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis for her. After her passing he took the insurance money and just this week bought himself a (used), but new to him beautiful pick-up truck. (So she still bought him a truck.) After the purchase Daddy called me and said, “Gaylene, I would like for you to come and drive your Mama’s car home for yourself.”

The car is not a new model, but it is new to me. Do you know those stories of little elderly ladies who garage-kept their cars and only drove them to church on Sunday and to the hair dresser on Friday? Well, that was my Mom. The car is a 2004 with only 64,000 miles on it and is in pristine condition. I cannot tell you how much I love and appreciate this gift. More than that, I value this gift not just out of need, but because of the ones who gave it to me.

God, through Jesus, has granted us a free gift of a new life in Him that is renewed each day. With each day we live in Christ the old sinful self we carry around with us passes away and once again we are clean. God cleanses our souls with the blood of Jesus poured over us and replaces our old selves with His all sufficient grace.

Do you know how a new car smells? Do you remember what it feels like to sit inside and touch the new surfaces? Someday the new car smell will go away, but the love, grace and renewing spirit of Jesus is never ending and renews itself in each of us each day out of His eternal love.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and carry an umbrella. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: