Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day to you all!

I hope you got to spend the day with someone you love! Geni spent her first Valentine’s Day with her first graders. I got a text message sometime today from her with this simple text, “OMG…Bonkers!” I told her that Valentine’s Day is the hardest day of the year for teachers. It is harder than the day before Christmas break and the last day of school combined. It all has to do with secrets and candy. Our dining room table is covered in chocolate and sweet little presents from her students. She wiped out on the couch a while back and I don’t think at the time of this writing she has made it to her bed yet.

Prayer: God, this Day is all about You! You are worthy of my focus and attention. Please help me to depend on You in everything I do today. I Jesus’ name. Amen.”

Titus 3: 5 “He saved us, not because of the righteous things we have done, but because of His mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.”

My meditation tonight begins with the question, “Have you ever been told to pull yourself up by your own boot straps”? Anyone who lives in Texas and owns a pair of western boots knows that this is a near impossible task. The meaning of this old saying is to not ask for help, but to make it on our own.

Our relationship with God is the exact opposite. We do not earn our relationship with God. It is a relationship that is by invitation only. God, in His mercy, sent Jesus to not only be our godly role model, but as a sacrifice for our sins, too. When we are washed in the waters of baptism, we are made one with the Father in heaven and brothers and sisters to Christ. And all of these things are according to God’s mercy and nothing we could ever do ourselves. God’s mercy is greater than our works, our righteousness and our unrighteousness. We can never make ourselves right with God, but we can bathe ourselves in the merciful grace that is offered and have our sins washed away, leaving us cleansed both inside and out.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you, all our precious Valentines, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: