Sunday, January 22, 2012

Greetings from Howe, Texas

Happy Saturday!

I think we all got a fairly good night’s sleep last night. I awoke at 6:00 to find Daddy already awake and having coffee just as he does each morning. So I poured myself a cup of coffee and just sat and listened. My Daddy is somewhat of an historian. We looked at some VERY old pictures of his family. Like mid 1800’s old! He knew all of the stories of these people who looked as if they had just walked out of a book by Laura Ingals Wilder or Louisa May Allcott. Amazing!

Today we went to the funeral home and set the arrangements. The memorial service for Mom will be on Sunday evening at 5:00 pm at the How Methodist Church with dinner to follow. We have several out of town families who are making plans to fly in and we had to wait until all are gathered.

Later in the day we held a traditional Helvey cookout. All parties, except Stephanie’s new husband, were present and it was so great. We grilled out steaks and chicken, looked at pictures, marveled at the great grand baby, laughed and talked and had a wonderful time. Mom would have loved it.

As for Dad, he is doing well and has moments of sadness. I was okay today until I went to prepare breakfast and remembered all of the great conversations Mom and I used to have as I cooked. We even herd a pack of coyotes howling as Ken and I shared grilling duties and decided that they had gathered in honor of Mom.

My apologies to all who have posted notes of kindness and concern on Facebook and who have sent lovely messages. I have received them all, but have not had time to respond. So collectively I thank you all as I ask you to pray for our dear daddy.

Today a homemade chocolate pie and some banana bread were delivered as gifts of love and caring. It is still tough to wrap our hearts and heads around the fact that she is gone. Today I imagined her in heaven where, after checking in with Jesus, she was scooped up in Casey’s arms as he said, “come with me, Grandmere. Have I got some things to show you!” I think my favorite part of this day was what Geni posted on Facebook.l “ Grandmere went to be with Casey to keep the party going!” Gotta love it! More later. Thanks again for listening.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: