Tuesday, January 24, 2012


Genita Rose Helvey 1933-2012


Greetings from Howe, Texas

Happy Monday!

Today was the day to run errands. Daddy and I made a list. We went to see Dr. Bensen and her eye doctor. We cancelled all future appointments for all of her doctors. Each person we spoke with expressed their deepest sympathies and told us how much they were going to miss her. Dad returned some of her rehab equipment he purchased because the equipment was never able to be used. We went to lunch and had a great time to talk. Ken’s school board president came to him today and promptly dismissed him from work for the rest of the day, so Ken came to Daddy’s and the three of us spent the remainder of the day and through dinner time looking at pictures, beginning to prepare the memory table and writing Mom’s obituary. As to how we are doing…Daddy asks throughout the day, “How am I going to get along without her?” I simply restate the question with “How are we all going to get along without her?” There will be a 4’ 10” space in all of our hearts for the rest of our lives that will eventually be filled with precious memories of a tiny woman with a smile that lit up an entire room, infectious laughter and perfectly coiffed hair!

As for tomorrow, Daddy and I will meet with the pastor of their church to plan the service. Mom loved Casey’s service so much and so asked me months ago to write a celebration service that honored her life in Christ. It is my plan to take my cue from Geni and craft a service that “keeps the party going!”

Prayer: “O God, teach me to be still and know the ways you are present with me today. Amen.”

Psalm 46: 7 “The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.”

I asked Daddy today if Mom had any particular passages of scripture she really loved and he told me she loved the Psalms. I found my Word in Season devotional book and thought I would reflect on this tonight.

Of all the times we need to count on God it is in times of loss. Grieving is a time when there are holes in your life that are really hard to fill. Grief does not just happen when you lose someone you love. Grief happens during any kind of loss: jobs, homes, children leaving home, retirement and so many others. These times are really hard because each type of loss carries with it the necessity of finding a new normal for our lives. Lots of folks try to fill those holes in self destructive ways.

Others try to fill those holes with hiding, sleeping, extreme busyness or becoming a hermit. Scripture tells us that the Lord of Hosts, the Creator, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Wonderful Counselor and Everlasting Father promises to be with us no matter what, no matter when, no matter where. This passage says God is our refuge. We take our holes and crawl up into the lap of God. Then we believe that God is stronger that all of our uncertainty, fear, sadness and grief and know He will heal the holes in our lives. Healing takes time and usually hurts like crazy, but the healing God provides is the healing that will last forever. Earthly ways will pass away, but Emmanuel, God with Us, is here to stay and stays with us forever.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Thank you all again for being mighty and faithful prayers. I ask you to continue in your prayers. We appreciate them so much and they are helping to ease the sting of the loss of Mom. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: