Thursday, January 26, 2012

Greetings from Howe, Texas

Happy Thursday!

I spent a rather busy day. I did the girl thing and had my hair and nails done. The really neat thing was that the two women who performed these services were the same women who did Mom’s hair and nails. Miss Maxine did Mom’s hair for over 20 years. We shared some tears and wonderful stories. Today, she gave me the gift of my Mom’s haircut. When Daddy took Mom last Friday, Maxine had to work her in and was unable to get her hair cut, so just washed and set it. Maxine is just one of many who will miss Mom. Michelle did Mom’s nails for a good number of years and loved Mom so much. Both of these women have three things in common; they are both strong women of faith, they both do quality work and they both loved my Mom. I am very grateful for the relationship they had with Mom.

Tonight we had another family gathering. Along with Daddy, Bruce and me were Mom’s sisters, Betty and Linda, along with Linda’s husband, Johnny, Ken and Sheena. There were 8 around the dining room table. I set the table with some of Mom’s pretty dishes and the meal was provided by the Wednesday Workers. These women brought enough food for an army and it was so delicious. As we ate, we shared hilarious stories about Mom and family members. So much fun!

Prayer: “Healer of the sick, teach us to come to You continually in prayer. Be with us as we leave our worries with You, and give us the courage to face each day—one hour, one minute at a time. Amen.”

Isaiah 41:10 “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

What a perfect passage of scripture! My Mamo always loved the old Christy Lane song, One Day at a Time. I sang this song at her funeral. When I read this passage tonight, I immediately thought of her. This passage calls us to remember that God is not just with us when we are in a time of trouble or grief. God is with us every day and always. “One day at a time” means that God wants us to begin and end our days with Him. Spending time with God can mean reading scripture, reading devotional materials, prayer, singing songs of praise to Him with the radio, or talking with other believers about God’s faithfulness and love. God cares for those who trust in Him. Because God cares for us, we can welcome each new day with the assurance of God’s promised presence in our lives.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and wear a jacket. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Please continue to pray for Daddy and our family as we continue in our new journey. Love you all and thank you so much for all of your continued prayer support, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: