Monday, January 9, 2012

Blessed Sunday to you all!

As some of you may know I am pursuing a Master’s of Divinity Degree from Brite Seminary on the campus of TCU (Go Frogs!). In order to be ordained I must be in fellowship with a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). I have been attending Rush Creek Christian Church here in Arlington at their 8:30 worship. I sit close to the back of the sanctuary on the right side. There is a very large window in the front of the church and where I usually sit. If the sun is shining brightly, it is blinding and I am forced to move to the other side of the sanctuary.

Pastor Chris preached today on Paul’s Damascus road experience. Saul had spent his adult life persecuting those who were Followers of the Way. Followers of the Way were those Jews who believed that Jesus was the Messiah sent by God to save the world. Saul was walking down the Damascus road when he was blinded by the light of God. I have always been told when one loses one of their senses the other senses become more sensitive or heightened. Saul was now blind and so he had to learn to listen. God spoke to Saul and led him to a man named Ananias. Ananias was a Follower of the Way. God was sending a helpless Saul to someone he had been sent to persecute so he could learn the ways of God. Ananias was being asked to invite a dangerous enemy into his home to tell him about the gospel of the One Saul had disdained for so long. Two men brought together for similar purposes, Ananias was to share the gospel with the Saul so that Saul could share the gospel with the world. Isn’t it amazing how God uses all of us to His good purpose?

Today is Epiphany Sunday - the season of light. After the heavens and earth were created, God created light and said that it was good. The Hebrew people were led by night by a pillar of fire and protected from Pharaoh’s army. In Psalm 29:7 “The voice of the Lord strikes with bolts of lightning.” It was by a star that the Wise Men were led to the Child and a star that led them to safety. And the Apostle Paul was struck blind by a light from the heavens. Here is the point - where there is light there is God. Where there is God, there is holy ground. Let us fear not when we are surrounded by the light of God for we are in His presence. He was wants us to listen and we are protected. Happy Epiphany!

Take joy in the journey! Carry a flashlight! Wear comfortable shoes and Monday, carry an umbrella. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Please continue to pray for Mom and Dad. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: