Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Happy Wednesday!

Bruce completed the editing on my Christian Education final today. It was due at 5:00. At 4:58 I attempted to send it via email to my professor and the computer froze. I sometimes threaten to have a stroke when things do not go as I need them to in situations like this, because professors do not accept late work. I mean they literally will not take the paper from your hand if it is late. When I was finally able to send it which was about 5 minutes later I sent a note along with it explaining what had happened and that I just needed 2 minutes of grace and would he please accept the paper? He responded quickly with these words, “If we cannot offer 5 minutes of grace in this world then we are all in trouble. Of course I will accept the paper.” When it did not send I almost began to cry because I have been working on that paper for days, so all is well. Now I just have to make it through the Old Testament Test in the morning, after which I will come home and complete my history final. I know you may be tired of these updates, but I really need your prayers. Thank you, mighty and faithful prayer warriors.

Prayer: “Lord, I pray that the Holy Spirit will give me insight into Your Word so that I might correctly understand and apply Your Word to my life. I thank You, Lord, for my salvation as I commit myself to the working out of that salvation through my life today. In Jesus’ name, Amen”

2 Thessalonians 2: 13 “But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren, beloved by the Lord, because God, from the beginning, chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.”

As my stress level is pretty high at this time, reading God’s Word began to allow the stress to leave my body and place my rest in the God of purpose during the “holy” Week of Finals.

In Paul’s epistle he was speaking to the Church at Thessalonica about their concern about the coming day of the Lord. That particular day is not one in which I have really ever concerned myself. I figure if Christ returns during this writing then I am secure in knowing where I will land. If Christ returns after my passing, I am still secure where I will spend eternity. I hope you are, too!

However, the Thessalonians were confused and Paul wrote to them hoping to comfort them and clear up their misunderstandings. First, Paul spoke of Conversion. They needed to be reminded that their salvation was not of their own doing, but was the result of God’s love. God’s love is personal and proven in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.” Next, Paul told them that God chose them. Love alone does not give us salvation. Salvation is given to us by His grace, and not because we deserve it. Here is the kicker…God has already set the day of His coming—He has ordained the last day and He has ordered this day in truth. The day of His coming is important, but our task to proclaim the truth of God in His gospel until that day is far more important. We can do nothing about the last days, that is not our job. Our job is to tell others about His love, grace, forgiveness and tender mercies. When we do our job, we may not know when Christ is returning, but we will certainly know more folks when we get there. See all of you on the flip side!
Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and carry your umbrella. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: