Friday, December 16, 2011

Happy Friday!

The history paper was sent to my professor around 3:00 AM. At 9:50 AM, he sent confirmation of his receipt of the paper and, with that, this semester was officially put to bed. Then I set about putting away all of the trappings of the semester. The text books were put away, all of the notes, handouts and papers were returned to their folders and placed with the books. I actually found the top of my desk and the bag I take to class was emptied and placed under my desk, waiting to be filled with the items for my class in January. It was a bit weird to not have a paper on which to work, reading to be done or other studying to do, so I cleaned, did laundry, watched NCIS and made a new recipe for dinner (which was really good; a Cheesy Cornbread Casserole).

Tomorrow, Bruce and I will get some flowers and place them on the grave of Rev. Richard Russell, the father of our dear friend, David Russell. Rev. Russell is buried in the DFW National Cemetery. He served as a First Lieutenant during the Korean War. Carme and Dave will not be able to make the trip to the Metroplex this Christmas, so we are delighted to stand in their place at this time to remember and honor this wonderful man who lived a life of integrity and faithfulness to his calling.

Prayer: “Lord, help me this day not to criticize what You are blessing, even if I lack understanding or it is different from that which I’m accustomed. May I never contend with what You are blessing. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

Acts 11:18 “When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.”

In this passage something was changing in the church. Many of the older members did not like the changes. (Does this sound familiar?) Peter, being led by the Spirit, went into the home of Cornelius and shared the gospel of Jesus with him. When Peter returned to Jerusalem they “contended with him” meaning they opposed him and argued with him.

Peter was anointed by the Holy Spirit to witness to Cornelius. I can pretty much tell you if God, through the Holy Spirit, calls you to service and you don’t go, God will be relentless in His pursuit for His will in your life to be done. God desired for Cornelius to be converted and so commissioned Peter to be the vessel through which He would work His will. Peter spoke to Cornelius and other Gentiles and the Holy Spirit fell upon them as they believed. God does not command a water baptism, but when we believe and pray the prayer for forgiveness, we are baptized by the Holy Spirit. We need to ask God to fill us with the Holy Spirit and take control of our thoughts, our behavior and our attitudes.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: