Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving… even though this is being written at midnight on Black Friday!

If you are already out shopping then I pray you are warm and you find your treasures. As for me, my Black Friday will be spent reading and studying as I have not done either for the last two days!

We had the most wonderful Thanksgiving Day at Ken and Sheena’s. There was plenty of wonderful food and great fun. It was the best gathering of family ever. We have much to be thankful for and said so many times throughout the day. As Ken gave the blessing before eating he called to our remembering those who have gone before us. I thought to myself that those whom we love so dearly and miss so much must celebrate Thanksgiving Day each day for all eternity.

The movie “It’s a Wonderful Life” is probably the most watched of all the holiday movies. In the final scene, Jimmy Stewart holds his young daughter Zuzu next to the Christmas tree and hears a bell. She reminds her Dad, “Teacher says whenever you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings.” Today, I received a surprise gift from a person I have known all of my life but have not seen in a very long time. So here is the story…

Each year my Mom still gets a gift of remembrance for Casey. It is something small that I cherish. She, as all of us do, believes that even though Casey is not here in body with us, our memories of the love we had for him and that he had for all of his family still make his presence known. This year Mom asked me to find a small crystal bell to hang on the tree so every time I walked by the tree I could move the bell, cause it to ring and call a memory of Casey to mind. I had not yet found the bell. Today, this lady from Howe who has known me far longer than I have known her sent a gift to me of a small crystal bell in the shape of a singing angel.

Mom and I were completely overwhelmed with the gift and just held each other in disbelief of this precious and unexpected treasure at which we were looking. The other miracle was that it was given on Thanksgiving Day. The hallmark of all Thanksgiving Days will always be the one spent in Houston. It was Casey’s last Thanksgiving Day that we would spend with him on this side of heaven. So maybe for just a moment Casey was here today in precious memories and the gift of a longtime friend. When I finally regained some composure I said to my family, “For Casey, everyday is Thanksgiving Day.” Geni simply said, “It’s a God thing!”

I heard on the radio this morning that “It is easy to complain, but it takes dedication and practice to be thankful.” As the season of Advent is about to begin and we begin to prepare once again for the birth of the Christ child, maybe we could practice finding ways to be thankful and replace complaints with thanksgiving. Geni and Travis both have tattoos saying, “When your life is in discord, praise the Lord.” I think Geni is right, “It’s a God thing!”

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes when you shop. Count your blessings and say your prayers of thanksgiving. Love you all with praise and thanksgiving to our God who brought us all together as His children. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: