Friday, July 8, 2011

Happy Friday!

We have a sister-in-law who’s name is Grace. We received an email from her today. She has re-named Bruce. He is now “King Bruce” because of all of those crowns in his mouth. I love it!!

Prayer: “Lord, I pray that You will make me sensitive to the needs of the people I will interact with today. Give me the opportunity to demonstrate the love that You have for them. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You. Help me to have a heart for You, and as a result, to have a heart for those who need to know You. Amen.”

1 Peter 4:9 “Be hospitable to one another without grumbling.”

A couple of years ago one of Geni’s friends was going to ride the train from Fort Worth to San Antonio then on to California. Her friend missed the train. Geni offered to take her to San Antonio to catch the next leg of her train. So all of this friend’s possessions were loaded into Geni’s then little Malibu and off they went. In the mean time I phoned my best friend Carme and asked if she could house some college co-eds for the night. Now Carme had just had visitors leave that day and she really needed to recuperate from one visit before another set of visitors arrived. But in true Carme fashion she said, “Sure, just let me get the towels washed.” She never grumbled about the short notice, an empty fridge or space. She simply invited the girls into her home offering shelter, food, clean beds and the radical hospitality of a best friend and Christian sister.

In the early New Testament days if people who traveled through your town then you were expected to provide hospitality meaning offering food and shelter. And no payment for this hospitality was expected. In this expectation there were, I am sure, those who grumbled behind the backs of the travelers but Scripture tells us that we are to be hospitable to all. As Christians we need to treat visitors cheerfully showing them the love of God.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us pray that God will show us ways to meet the needs of those who are in need of the radical hospitality that only the love of God can provide. Ask God to put someone in your path today who needs a blessing. Pay attention and in faith meet the needs of others. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: