Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Tuesday!

Prayer: “Dear Father, I know that words are very important to You, because You have chosen to reveal Yourself primarily through the power of the written Word and the spoken word. Today, I will use many words with many people. Give me the wisdom to speak at the right time and in the right way. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen.”

Proverbs 17: 27, 28 “He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm s[spirit. Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.”

From my meditation tonight, “He who thinks by the inches and speaks by the yard should be kicked by the foot.”

I have often said that God gave us two ears and one mouth so we could listen twice as much as we speak. As someone who has spent most of my life communicating using the spoken word I am having to learn to listen. I am exercising my own Miranda rights to be silent in more everyday circumstances than ever before. As a future pastoral care giver the first skill I must master is the skill of listening without interruption.

How often have we greeted someone, they have began to speak, a thought enters our head and we interrupt our friend. Sometimes listening is a form of sacrifice that is difficult for each of us to make. Mastering the skill of listening for those of us who make a living speaking is a practice that must be consciously worked on in our daily living.

Our words mean a lot to God. The words we use have an impact on those around us especially if the people around us know we are believers in Jesus Christ. We, as believers in Jesus, are God’s representative called into the responsibility of sharing God’s Word and listening to God’s people. We need to embrace the wisdom of God before speaking. We need to learn to speak calmly and be self-controlled while carefully choosing our words. As we depend on the Spirit to help us choose our words or remain silent we will bring glory and honor to God the Father.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. When we pray tonight let us pray for the wisdom to use our ears more than our mouths and depend on God to let us know the difference. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: