Monday, June 20, 2011

Happy Monday!

I hope all of you had a wonderful Father’s Day! Ours was great. We celebrated Father’s Day with Bruce on Saturday night. Then, Sunday, Geni and Travis both had to work and missed seeing Mom and Dad, but Bruce and I joined them for church. Then I prepared lunch for Mom and Dad and we had a great visit with them.

Prayer: “Precious Father, I come before You confessing that my greatest need is to receive more wisdom and understanding. While I may get knowledge from a book, wisdom only comes from Your heart. For all the decisions, discussions, and deliberations that will be part of this day, give me the wisdom to know and to do what is right. Remind me to keep asking for wisdom so I will do what pleases You. In the wonderful name of Jesus I pray. Amen.”

Proverbs 16: 21, 22 “The wise in heart will be called prudent, and sweetness of the lips increases learning. Understanding is the wellspring of life to him who has it. But the correction of fools is folly.”

Knowledge is good. Knowledge is something we learn from books and study. Knowledge will get us (me) through tests, graduate school and right now through all of the paperwork of retirement. But wisdom is what will guide us (Bruce and I) through this new phase of our lives and the very important decisions that we will have to make.

Solomon asked for wisdom. No one else in our Biblical history every asked for wisdom. When Solomon asked for this special gift from the One for whom nothing is impossible, God gave Solomon a blank check. Wisdom does not deal only with the head, but with the heart. God does not ask us for what we possess, but for what we want. God does not care about what we have, but about what we want and desire in the will He has set out for each of us. God so wants to give us the desires of our hearts and it is only for us to ask.

I was a public school educator for 30 years. In four years of college classes and 12 extra hours of certification I learned that I had a great deal of knowledge about education and very little about teaching children. Entering the classroom each day, working with the students, listening to those teachers far more experienced than me and then putting into practice what I was learning from them I think is how I learned wisdom in the classroom.

In our lives as believers in Jesus we gain wisdom by first asking God for wisdom. God will give us the desires of our hearts. Reading God’s Holy Word, listening to other believers and staying within His will gives us not only knowledge in our heads, but wisdom in our minds and hearts enabling us to make difficult decisions with full assurance that God has anointed us with His wisdom. God never promised us an easy life, but He did promise to remain with us and give the tools we need to live this life within His will by granting us a part of Himself; His wisdom.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. When you pray ask God for the desires of your hearts and do not be afraid to ask for wisdom if wisdom is what you need. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: