Monday, February 28, 2011

Blessed Sunday! Here is the best story of the day.

Last Saturday I made 130 cupcakes for a baby shower at church. There were several pans full of cupcakes left over. The husband of the honoree is a medical student. My family forbade me to bring the leftovers back home so Jeremy said let me take them to my school. No problem! Upon arrival at church he had this to report. “I went to share the cupcakes with my classmates. There was a church bake sale going on nearby with only a few items on the table and no customers. They were raising money for a mission trip. My classmates and I decided that I should donate the cupcakes to this struggling bake sale. The next time I looked up there were lines going down the hall with people waiting in line to purchase cupcakes.”

I was so excited when I heard this news and felt so humbled that my cupcakes helped this church raise money for a mission trip. I was just reminded that God uses our offerings in ways we cannot imagine. Is that the best cupcake story ever?! I loved it.

Mark 1:35 “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there I prayed.”

Even Jesus needed time alone with His Father. Jesus gave us the perfect model for quiet time. He got up early and spent time in prayer with His Father. I am sure He prayed for guidance and strength to minister to all with whom He came into contact. I can just imagine the joy that Jesus felt as He spent time with His Father.

When we spend time alone with God, how He must rejoice that we have chosen to spend time in His presence. Prayer is a time of growth. Prayer is the time we deepen our friendship with God. The time spent with God is such a valuable time. A friend of ours shared a bit of wisdom from our brothers and sisters in Sierra Leone. His mother had just returned from a mission trip in Sierra Leone. She shared that while they were in worship for well over two hours, no one seemed to be fidgety or looking at their watches and everyone was still happy. It seems that American worshipers have watches and clocks while worshipers in Sierra Leone have time.

Kind of hits you square in the face doesn’t it? Spend time with our creator. Take joy in that time and let Him fill you with His presence, guide your every step, strengthen you and grow in friendship.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift each other up in prayer throughout each day remembering that each of us is fighting some sort of battle. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: