Sunday, December 26, 2010

Merry Christmas!

At this writing I am sipping some hot cinnamon tea and snuggled under my TCU Horned Frog blanket. The children are nestled all snug in their beds while visions of Starbucks dance in their heads. (Geni and Travis both work tomorrow and will travel to Howe between shifts to share Christmas with Mom, Dad and other family members.) I am a bit weary, but very happy.

We had the most wonderful day today with Carme and Dave. We all began our day with Christmas Day worship at Advent. Bruce and I provided special music. We moved the party to the house where we all ate too much, laughed and talked constantly and had a splendid day. It occurred to me that at the age of 55 and nearly 30 years of marriage, this is my first time to prepare a dinner on Christmas Day as always before, my mom has always prepared dinner and I have brought something to add to the table.

Psalm 138: 6 “Though the Lord is high, yet He has respect unto the lowly: but the proud He knows far off.”

Isn’t it amazing that the King of Kings and Lord of Lords came for the lowly, the outcast, the marginalized and the poor. Jesus born of a woman and the power of the Holy Spirit was born in a stable to an unmarried woman and lived a life of poverty. And yet this baby was heralded into the earth by angel’s song and sought by kings. These kings brought costly gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. These gifts seem odd to bring to a child and his family. But these gifts had a far reaching meaning for their future and ours. Tonight my meditation offers these words: The Gold, money, Frankincense, the adoration of a consecrated life and Myrrh, your sharing in His sorrows and those of the world. Myrrh was a burial spice with a peculiarly pungent odor used in the linen wrappings of those who died.

We may not have these three same gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh to offer to the Christ child, but we can offer our lives over to the One who came to save us. We can offer our money for the furthering of the ministries or to help others. We can offer our lives consecrated and set apart for His purpose. We can be a balm of comfort to those who mourn and share God’s love with those who are in need of a Savior.

Share the gifts God has given to you with someone who is in need. These gifts do not come wrapped in paper, bows and tags. These gifts come from your heart; a heart that has been gifted by the Savior.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: