Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Greetings from near Memphis, Tennessee

Happy Monday! Our day began early with a 4:00 am wake-up call and a 5:30 am departure. After a brief trip to Starbucks we were on our way to visit Bruce’s brother and his family. We arrived around 4:00 safe and sound. We have celebrated Gayle’s birthday with a delicious trip to the Texas Roadhouse. After the staff caught her off guard and announced her birthday to the restaurant, the recognition ended with a rousing Y-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e- Haw-w-w-w-w-w, Gayle declared that we gave her the best ye-haw she heard in the restaurant that night! I told her of course it was because she had the only table with authentic Texans!

Proverbs11:4 “Riches profit not in the day of wrath; but righteousness delivers one from death.”

The old saying goes “You can’t take it with you.” (Even though I have a uncle who thinks he can.)

This Christmas my prayer has been for “enough.” God has blessed us with “enough” during this season. He has blessed us with enough money for food, gas, a gift or two, and some left over to share. But more than that God has blessed us with wonderful family and wonderful friends with which to share this season. As I have gotten older I have discovered that material things are not near as important as the gift of time spent with family and friends. We do not live a life of opulence or affluence. We live a life of well-being. We live a life blessed with gifts of love and faith that have been laid like stones. The rock of our faith is our Master and Savior Jesus Christ.

When we rely on the plan Jesus has for us and we try our best to walk the path of obedience then God grants us fulfillment or well-being. We are all called to a glorious work by God. We may not have all been called to preach, but we have all been called to serve.

As I begin my last semester as a public school teacher there are things I must put aside, but I must never put aside the calling to serve. The path of transition is not easy but through the gifts of love, laughter and trust I know victory in Jesus name will become a reality. Through trust and prayer riches are not given in physical appearances of money or things, but in the smiles and laughter of friends, the love of family and the assurance of the presence of God through Jesus Christ.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say our prayers. Love you all and pray for our niece and nephew as they travel to visit friends for the remainder of the week. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: