Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blessed Sunday!

Today in worship we sang “Breathe.” As many of you may know, that song is the last one Casey sang. He sang it with Bruce on the Kairos Prison Ministry Weekend just prior to his final days with us. What a blessing for Bruce and he to share singing this very profound piece. I usually get pretty weepy when this song is sung. I cry because I miss Casey, but then I think of how he must be living the words of this song every day and for all eternity. The instant he passed from this world and into the next Casey breathed in the Holy Presence of God through the resurrection power of Jesus. God spoke His very Word to Casey and now Casey lives in perfect peace, perfect health and in the Holy Presence of God. WOW!

Hebrews 12:2 “Looking unto Jesus…who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross…and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

While we are here on the earth we are to live, love and grow into the likeness of Christ and into the image of God. The way to do this is to develop a relationship with God through Jesus.

One of the things I say in my classroom (numerous times each day) is “look at me.” The wisest educator I ever knew gave me the best truth about teaching I have ever learned and put into practice. These simple words are what I base everything on that I teach the children in my class. These words are, “You can’t teach the children until you have their attention.”

When the children pay attention then they learn more not only academically, but they learn to trust me as their teacher. They learn that I will be there to help them and all they need to do is look at me and help is coming shortly. If they continue to pay attention they will learn their lessons and will grow as students and be ready for the next grade level. It is my hope that I do my job well enough so when the students leave my classroom and travel to the second grade classrooms, their new teachers will know that they came from my classroom and are prepared for the second grade.

Jesus tells us to “look at Him.” When we look at Jesus we grow in His likeness and receive the answers and direction we are seeking. When we are at a place of unrest then we must seek His calm. When we are impatient then we must seek His unfailing patience. When we feel we are lacking and reaching our limits then we need to seek His perfection. The result is that we receive the answers and direction we need and we grow into the likeness of Christ because we looked at Him and paid attention. Others will know us by our faith and actions and say. “These people have been with Jesus.”

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: