Thursday, July 15, 2010

Happy Thursday!

My paper is printed and in my notebook in my backpack. I have my notes learned for the test tomorrow and I am pretty sure I am ready for tomorrow. Today I also received my instructions for the next steps in the candidacy process. There are interviews, background checks, psychiatric and career evaluations. This process makes me a little nervous, but God has set me on the path and as the old saying goes, If God brings you to it, God will get you through it. I will keep you posted.

Psalm 32:7 “You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance.”

What a wonderful passage! I love the song we sing with these similar words. They bring me comfort in a time of need and reaffirm God’s Lordship over my life and how much I count on God to always be with me.

This weekend seems to be a weekend filled with music and those who make it. This weekend we will attend two different music events. Bruce was a part of a singing group in high school called the New Generation Singers which formed within his church. The director who directed Bruce in high school is still living and is succeeded by his son. We will be attending the concert in Guthrie, Oklahoma on Sunday night. This director, Byron, helped shaped Bruce’s musical abilities and opportunities while in high school. Bruce has attended reunions of this group.

That same afternoon we will attend a very special reunion of Sherman High School former choir members. The purpose of the reunion is to honor Duane Gohlke. I was his assistant my junior and senior years. He was always the director of the cross town rival when I was in junior high. His choirs always won honors and awards. I had been Mr. Gohlke’s assistant for a week and a member of the A Cappella choir for about a week and he put me on a stage out in the mall and said, “Sing, Helvey!” He never called me Gaylene, just my last name, Helvey. He shaped me musically, spiritually and was my best friend. I have always named him my mentor.

Mr. Gohlke (pronounced go—kee) was a musical genius with perfect pitch, a concert pianist and a masterful director and I wanted nothing more than to be just like him. Mr. Gohlke and his wife Bobbie were a part of our wedding and Casey’s first babysitters. Mr. Gohlke, just ten years older than me which would make him 64, has advanced Alzheimer’s disease, and it breaks my heart. I sang in front of him not to very long ago and he did not know me. I remember praying that God would let my singing and the song reach him somewhere through that ghastly disease.

I don’t know a lot about Alzheimer’s except it robs a person of so many things. I don’t even know if music is a part of Mr. Gohlke’s life or cognition any more. But I know this, that there are songs on the way just for him. God will make sure that which has been taken from him here on earth will be restored a 100 times over in heaven.

There are lots of hard roads to walk here on earth. But I know if we walk a particularly hard road and God walks with us then we are on holy ground. When we stand in the presence of God wherever we are and whatever our lot is we are on holy ground. And as we walk with God I know there are songs to sing.

Take joy in the journey (singing as you go). Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. I am continuously praying for you and ask for you to pray for our family. Love you all so much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: