Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Monday!

I have spent the day working on the three part paper due on Friday. I have three chapters left in which to analyze my pastoral conversation. The assignment was to produce a pastoral conversation with me as the pastor counseling with a parishioner. Then we were to write down the conversation and analyze our skills as pastoral care givers as to listening, body language, ethics etc...It has been an interesting assignment and has already shown me some strengths and areas in which I need to work and get more practice. I like classes that will absolutely help me in the process to become a hospital chaplain.

Today I mailed the autobiography piece of the candidacy process off to the synod office today. I think that is the last piece that is needed to complete the application process. Most of the students in my class are already licensed as pastors, but not ordained. The Lutheran Church does not license ministers prior to ordination. This gives them some advantages over me in that they get to practice their skills in a church setting (as they are employed by a church), but that is okay, I am not yet ready to be able to give the time commitment to any parish beyond a laity position. When I announced that I was in the application for candidacy process my classmates were clueless as to what that meant.

Philippians 1:6 “Being confident of this very thing, that He which has begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”

What an awesome passage! It is full of promise. It is full of a future. When we are baptized either as infants, children, young adults or older adults, God marks us with His seal and the cross of Christ forever. When we are sealed by this precious and wonderful cross we can count on God working in our lives.

At the moment of our baptism God began that good work in us and the scripture says that we are to be confident that the good work will continue forever. God will always guide us in the way we should go because He is our heavenly Father and has great and compassionate and amazing love for each of us. Whatever God has planned for each of us He will be relentless in His work in each of us until He has completed in us His perfect will and purpose. This passage gives me hope and belief that I can through His complete the task set before me. He will do the same for you. Isn’t God good?!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. I am praying for all of you, please continue to pray for me and my family. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: