Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Wednesday and Happy St. Patty’s day!!

I donned my green TCU Frog No Blarney shirt, my shamrock earrings and necklace and my green crocs with the shamrock jibbits and set out to greet the day! Prior to worship this evening we had a traditional Irish meal of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and Irish Soda Bread. I looked at my beautiful green herb garden in my kitchen window and felt as if I had honored this day well!

Hebrews 4:9, 10 “There remains therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from this own works, as God did from His.”

Spring Break is always an interesting week. I have spent the week being busy, but not busy with school, or seminary, or even some much needed spring cleaning. I have spent a lot of time cooking. I love to cook. I love new recipes, going to the store for interesting ingredients and setting a table before my family that is interesting and good tasting. Since I have been putting more effort into a family meal we rarely eat out. We have been gathering at the table each evening and not just doing the “eat and run thing”, but lingering at the table following the meal just to laugh and talk. Meal time has become a time of joy and a time in which to look forward each day.

With each new recipe I try there are usually vegetables to chop. Now this may sound silly, but I find myself at extraordinary peace while chopping onions or garlic or other things and it is a time I commune with God. I find myself silently praying and in the quiet moments after I have prayed I listen for God’s voice and love the companionship I experience with Him in the kitchen. Even in the busyness of chopping or stirring or measuring I am at a place of rest and peace. I look forward to this time each evening (or this week a couple of times a day) not only for the food I am preparing, but for the time I am in communion with God. Perhaps I am a bit like Mary in a Martha world!

Where is a place that you can commune with God and just experience His companionship? I have found my place in the kitchen. Do you find your quiet place in the car, out in a shop, mowing the lawn or planting flowers, cleaning the bathroom or making a bed? I urge you to discover a place or time when you can just experience God’s companionship. I pray if you are like me, you will find it a place of rest.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: