Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Happy Tuesday!

Habakkuk 2:3 “If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!”

Last night we talked about becoming spiritually disciplined. Remember - the way to become more Christ like was to practice, practice, practice. Well, let’s talk about how we can keep up with what we do.

Last night I talked about my student teacher. In order for her to become a better teacher she needs to practice, practice, and practice. I told her that I would not always rescue her and in fact I would let her fall a few times so she could get back up and try again.

Today, she was teaching and I began a journal for us to share. When she gets up to teach I write down what she does in her lessons, sort of observational script. Then I write comments about her lesson and finally I make suggestions. Then we sit down and talk about how she taught her lesson. We talk about the positive things about her lesson and then some suggestions for improvement. Tonight she has the opportunity to write in the journal and ask any questions she has for me or make comments. I think we are going to find this a really helpful tool as she continues to teach and track her improvement and make corrections as necessary. Her improvement will not happen overnight - they will happen gradually until finally she is ready to teach unsupervised.

As we are making the journey to be more Christ like, our improvement will be gradual too. When we pray for God to help us to be more like Him we need to believe that God is working in our lives even when we don’t feel it. For me, keeping a daily journal of what God has done has helped me so much.

The prayer and share group I meet with each week keeps a journal of prayer requests. Every so often we go back and see which prayers have been answered. Sometimes it is hard not to get discouraged when we have been praying for something for so long. I just have to remember that God’s timing is not my timing and I must remember and trust that God answers all prayers; not always in the way we want, but always in the way we need.

My dear friends, let us practice, practice and practice and maybe write down what we have done and then ask God what we need to do to be more like Him. Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS I spoke with Pastor Stan Meyer today in the synod office and he is sending me the packet to apply for candidacy. There are lots of things to do so I ask for your prayers as I begin this journey somewhere in the middle. (I approached all of this backwards.)

And…pray for our beloved Bassett, Lamar. He has heartworms. The good news is that they no longer treat heartworms with arsenic. There is a much safer drug. We are beginning with antibiotics for a month and then we will begin the injections. If you will remember, Lamar is the dog who lay under Casey’s bed with his head sticking out from under the bed just far enough to see Casey all of the time. gc

No comments: