Saturday, February 13, 2010

Greetings from Starbucks!

Happy Saturday! We have been without power since midnight Thursday. But it could have been worse and there are those who are far worse off than we. We have just been inconvenienced. We have gas heat, cooking and water heater. We have been able to stay reasonably warm, we are fed, watered and dry. Those who have all electric are in big trouble. The good news is that the big truck with flashing lights is in our neighborhood as we speak (Oncor). I have hopes that we will be back on track sometime tonight. We have been eating many things from the fridge to avoid losing any food. The freezer has held pretty well, but the fridge is getting warm. I have just tried to get everything I need at one time to avoid opening the doors to hold in whatever cool is still remaining. (Lots of eggs!!)

John 8:12 “Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”’

For me the hardest part of being without electricity is walking into a dark house. I, as many of you know, was very afraid of the dark as a child. I guess my discomfort with darkness has still remained . Last night we sat down to dinner with many candles and I cooked eggs and bacon by Bruce and Geni holding a flashlight over the skillet. And even though we normally go to sleep in relative darkness, there are still small lights that shine and small noises that instead of being an annoyance I have discovered to be a comfort. There is also the anticipation of certain alarms going off and a bit of tension in making sure we get up on time without the alarms and radio (by the voice of Hal Jay on WBAP) that I am so accustomed.

Then the most wonderful thing happened. I have kept the candle from the Extravaganza on the microwave. Last night it was lit as a source of light. I walked back into the kitchen from a darkened bedroom and the light illumined the words on the votive glass; “God is Light.” What a comfort those words meant last night. It was sort of a message that God was giving to me saying that even in the darkness my light is still shining for you. Fear Not! The candle had never been lit until last night.

As I woke up during the night to unfamiliar darkness I remembered the candle and remembered to pray for those who had no power and few options. I remembered to pray for those tireless workers who were out in the cold and snow repairing wires and helping to put this county back together. I gave thanks for the blessings we were afforded; a family that was willing to hold flashlights, light candles and eat from the fridge. Children who were willing to sleep in lots of clothes and wrapped up in blankets in the living room and for Bruce who went to storage last night to get extra blankets for our bed. I am thankful for Starbucks, internet and a French Press Coffee Pot so that we could continue to support our coffee habits. The adventure continues…

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and hope fully the next posting will be from 811 Austin St. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: