Monday, February 8, 2010

Blessed Sunday to you all!

What an awesome day!! Worship was really inspiring today. I will share a bit more with you later in this writing. Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints on the Super Bowl. What a great game! The "Who dat" nation has a lot of which to be proud.

Isaiah 6: 8 "Then I heard the Lord's voice saying, "Whom can I send? Who will go for us? So I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

Luke 5: 5 "Simon answered," Master, we have worked hard all night trying to catch fish, and we caught nothing. But you say to put the nets back into the water, so I will."

I have been blessed through God's grace to experience a few "holy moments" in my life. The last two were experienced with Casey. The first one was the night he first received chemotherapy and he sang "All to Jesus I surrender." The last one was when we held our last conversation and he told me he was not afraid. I have thought that holy moments were when God allowed me to experience something that only He could offer in terms of a word of revelation or comfort or special insight into His character. But today in Pastor Marc's sermon I learned more about holy moments.

Holy moments are when Jesus asks us to do something. When God asks us to do something He is asking us to be a light for others. God spoke to Isaiah and Isaiah's response was "Here I am. Send me." The temple was filled with smoke and angels brought a coal and touched the lips of Isaiah to purge Isaiah's sin. Isaiah felt unworthy as a sinful man to do what God was asking. He did not think he could do what God asked. But God said to Isaiah, you must go and speak to the people. You must tell them they can come before me and be forgiven and healed of their sin. Isaiah asks how long he should do this. God's response was as long as it takes.

Peter and the disciples were out fishing all night and had not caught anything. Jesus asks them to try again. When they try again their nets were full. These fishermen were tired and down because they had caught nothing, but on Jesus’ command they tried again and their nets were full. Bruce asked me as I was note taking during the sermon if I thought the fish were happy to be part of the miracle. (I really loved that!)

These were fishermen. They were not shepherds, or potters, or carpenters. They were fishermen and God used their chosen craft and their skills to bring in the largest catch ever. He did not ask them to change tacks or professions. Jesus simply said, "Try again."

Isaiah became a prophet the day his lips touched the coal. God used the skills and gifts in Isaiah to do His will. God did not ask Isaiah to change professions just as Jesus did not ask the fishermen to become something they were not meant to be. God called Isaiah and the fishermen to one purpose. God called these people to tell others to correct their ways and follow God. I am sure that these people did not feel worthy or deserving of this calling, but God called them to it and it became holy.

God does the same for us. God takes all we have and all we are and uses us to His great purpose. God sends us on a journey like no other. Deserving or worthy of this calling we are not, but by His grace we are made ready for service through prayer so that something of Jesus comes through us as we serve Him by helping others. God calls us to try again and not to give up! Remember He kept trying with each one of us and yet has not given up. Praise God!!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings, say your prayers and lately carry an umbrella. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: