Sunday, February 14, 2010

Blessed Sunday and Happy Valentine’s Day!

Here is the update. Candles are low but hope is high and there are just a few questions. You guessed it, we still are without electricity. At last evenings writing we were at Starbucks and the trucks had at least made an appearance in our neighborhood. Jefferson St. seems to have been restored, but part of Austin Street is still dark. So last night there was another candlelight dinner in the Chrystie household. The kids have electric heaters in their rooms. Geni came out and told me, “Mom, I can see my breath in my room.” (this writing will most likely be continued elsewhere as I am down to about 18% power.)

Proverbs 8:34 “Blessed is the man that hears me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the ports of my doors.”

I almost laughed at this passage when I think of how many times I have gone to the door in the last 56 hours when it sounded like there was a large Oncor truck passing by our house. As I would look and listen I would be once again disappointed. And then I read this verse and the meditation. I realized once again (okay, I get it God!) that I am looking and listening for things that are temporal. Instead of looking, waiting and listening for a truck, I need to simply stand in the presence of God. I got up a while ago and stood in front of the heater in the living room reading this meditation and became aware of just how much I was drawn to heat and light. When the shadows of the room were overcoming my ability to read my devotion I sought greater light. My strongest desire was to stay in the light.

What if I sought that hard to stay in the light of God’s presence? The weight and care of this world would completely overtake me and each of us outside of the light of the presence of God. Now in the grand scheme of things this lack of light and power is inconvenient, but in time (shortly I hope we need clean clothes!) will be repaired. The good news is that we are never out of the light of God’s presence and loving hand. The longer we remain in His presence His strengthening, creative and enduring love and grace begin to permeate our being. This strengthening, creative and enduring love and grace is not of our own doing, but out of His love for us because we are the focus of His love.

So, even when the power of this world goes out, the power of God is ever true no matter what the storms of life bring. Journey toward and into the light of God’s Holy presence.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes (dry socks!) count your blessings and say your prayers. See you in worship! Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS With 8% to spare! Isn’t God good?

(PSS – this was writing Sunday afternoon, but not edited and posted until Sunday evening. The Oncor people finally made it to our neighborhood and, as of 5:30pm, our electricity came back on!!!! Thanks for your prayers.)

No comments: