Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Monday!

Yes, I am writing from home. Last evening Geni, Travis and I were at Starbucks charging computers, checking email and I was catching up on some grading. Then I received a text message from Bruce saying, “I am doing the laundry.” I think that is the most wonderful text message I have received in a long time. We were all so excited and cleaned up our table and packed in record time only to be brought back to earth in the realization that I had almost completely cleaned out the fridge that afternoon and a trip to the grocery store was imminently necessary!! And even though it was Valentine’s evening and supposed to be an evening set aside for romance, we did not have a candlelight dinner on last evening. I think I have had enough candlelight dinners for a while.

Isaiah 26:4 “You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on God, because he trusts in God.”

I have learned a couple of things from the last few days of “Adventures in Darkness.” First, when you do not have power, you are limited in what you can do and, second, when there is a great deal of quiet, there is more time to speak to God and to listen to His teachings.

I must admit that by Sunday I was becoming a bit down about the lack of power and really did not want to be at home. When the things of this world become limited, the opportunity to spend time with God becomes more apparent. In the bustle of life not always do a great many things get accomplished, but spending time with God is time well spent in conversation and listening. Even though I was not really at peace in the house in the darkness, I had some really great time to spend with God in prayer and in His presence. I was trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Don’t wait until a time of darkness occurs before you turn to God. Turn to Him daily and get to know Him and learn to listen, seeking the “light” of His Word.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: