Thursday, February 18, 2010

Happy Thursday.

Luke 10:39, 42 “Mary…sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His Word…Mary has chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away.”

Today, around 2:15 pm I discovered I needed to test all of my students in reading and have the results prepared for a grade level meeting in the morning by 9:00. When I found this out I quickly seated my students and proceeded to test them individually until almost time to go home. I am usually more on top of things and have these things done in advance, but somehow this escaped me. In the busyness of the day and the life of a school teacher I missed this message. I still have three students to test first thing in the morning. I am not a fan of testing, I would just rather teach.

Mary could have been helping her sister Martha in the kitchen preparing the meal. Martha most likely asked her to come and help. Now I don’t know whether Mary was of little help in the kitchen, or if Mary was the one who was the house keeper or if she was just caught up in the excitement of Jesus visiting in her home. But for whatever reason Mary chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and be taught. Martha (as the story tells it) stayed in the kitchen and fumed as she prepared the meal for Jesus and the disciples.

Mary knew that hearing the Word of Jesus was the most important way she could spend her time on that day. Martha could prepare and serve many more meals, but Jesus would be there for such a short time and Martha missed it!

Are we more like Mary or Martha? I think there are times when I am both of these women. I need to be more like Mary. I need to choose to spend more time in the Word learning all I can about the Father, how to best serve Him, how to discern His will for my life and how to tell others about His wonderful love, grace and forgiveness. As I walk this Lenten journey, and I hope we walk together maybe we can be more like Mary in this very Martha world.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS. Bruce’s Dr. appointment went well with the result of a change in medication. Thanks for the prayers.

No comments: