Saturday, January 30, 2010

Happy Saturday!

My apologies for not writing on last evening. I, who am rarely sick, came down with a ghastly sinus infection causing me pain that I was beginning to believe only amputation could cure. I am much better and looking forward to sharing with you this evening.

Our great niece, Bianca spent the day with us. It was a busy Saturday and she was a joy to have with us. Her dad, our nephew, is the manager of a restaurant and is beginning to work a lot of Saturdays so Bianca will be spending Saturdays with us for the foreseeable future. She is a lovely and delightful young lady (almost 9) and we are looking forward to spending time with her.

Prayer alert!! I received a text message from my principal, Tammy Dugan, telling me that her church, Saginaw Park Baptist in Aledo was burned to the ground last evening. There were several fires set throughout the building. I ask you to pray for this community as they come together in their grief and loss and count on Christ to direct their path.

Romans 6:13 “Give yourselves to God…surrender your whole being to Him to be used for righteous purposes.”

I don’t know about all singers who sing primarily contemporary Christian music, but I know of some who have a “go to” song when they are really down or when things are really going south or a moment of heartache occurs. For me the song is “In the Name of the Lord.” I go to that song for this one line “And when my plans have fallen through. And when my strength is nearly gone. When there is nothing left to do but just depend on you and the power of Your Name.”

As I try to put myself in the minds and hearts of the worshiping community in Aledo and the loss of their building, I pray they remember that what made them a worshiping community was not the building. What made them a worshiping community was their relationship with God. God is at the heart of their worship and bringing glory to God. Offering ourselves to God is what is at the heart of worship. It will take not only the surrender of the community of faith, but the surrender of each individual that makes up this community. It will take prayer by this community who has experienced this devastating loss, but the prayers of the larger community of believer s in support of this community. Let us join together in our prayers that even though the building is gone, the Spirit of God is still very present in the hearts of those who worship Him in love and in the belief that God will lead them out of the ashes and into a renewed purpose to glorify God in all things.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. See you in worship. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: