Saturday, November 7, 2009











Happy Saturday! These pictures are from the Extravaganza today.

What a wonderful day!! The Advent Extravaganza was simply beautiful. All of the tables were stunning and filled with light. The theme was the light of God’s love. I think there were 19 tables with eight guests at each table. There were 20 hostesses and a committee of eight planned and executed the event. The catering was done by “Cook for Hire.” The food was delicious.

There were a group of ladies who performed excerpts from Greater Tuna. If you are familiar with “Tuna” all of the parts are normally portrayed by two men. But today these ladies divided up the parts and performed. They were hilarious.

Pastor Joel provided beautiful lunch music for us complete with candelabra on the piano. I asked him where his sequined jacket and his brother George were. Someone even left him a tip. Pastor Joel was the only man who was fed at the event today.

Our inspirational speaker was Pastor Jane Mar, a pastor with the synod who shared a wonderful message.

Geni and I had a wonderful time. (I spent the remainder of the afternoon washing dishes and laundering linens.) Travis thought we needed to make all mealtimes special and use the “good stuff” on a regular night whether we have leftovers, scrambled eggs for a regular meal, so I reset our table at home with a tablecloth, place settings and a centerpiece.

Psalm 119: 169 “Let your word help me.”

I have always loved Bible study. When Casey became ill and I began to have a nightly time with scripture and reflection, the Bible helped me learn so very much and the writing has helped me to work through my grief. I don’t think I have read each verse in the Bible, but I have read quite a few of them. The theme I seem to keep running into no matter whether I am reading an Old Testament or New Testament passage is the salvation of God’s children through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the dwelling of the Holy Spirit within each heart who receives the love of Christ. I also have read a second theme. From Genesis to Revelation, the stories are a sequence of love stories between God and His people. God has great passion for His people and so wants for all of us to reconcile unto Him before the Day of Judgment.

I have grown to love God’s Word as well as grown to depend on it for assurance, comfort and guidance. The Holy Scriptures have given me a glimpse into the heart of God and a compass on which to guide my life. I have figured out that when I calibrate my plans, thoughts and actions using God’s Word as my compass then I will journey safely. But if I fail to set the compass in God’s direction then I am completely lost, frightened and seemingly alone.

Friends, find a time during the day to just read a few verses. You will be surprised what you will learn and where you will land.

Take joy in the journey. Take a map and wear comfortable shoes. Love you all and see you in worship. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: