Thursday, November 5, 2009

Happy Thursday!

The fall days this week have been so beautiful. I really love fall. I love the colors, the temperatures, the food, the activities and the clothes.

An update! Travis is receiving physical therapy for his injuries. His bicep looks as if it has been hit with a baseball bat. He can still work out, just no lifting or chest work for a while. We are not sure whether he will be healed up enough to compete in December. Please continue your prayers. Thank you.

Hebrews 1:1-2 “In the past God spoke…many times and in many different ways. But now…God has spoken to us through His Son.”

I shared with you that a week ago tonight Geni, Travis and I were hit by a driver under the influence who then left his shattered car and fled the scene of the accident on foot. I then wrote my latest paper for my ethics class from the point of view of a victim of this accident and how I as a Christian should respond. Well, I give thanks that we were all unharmed in this accident. I also give thanks that the driver and his friend seemed to be also unharmed as they were able to flee the scene of the accident on foot. Metal, plastic, tubes and such can be replaced, but people cannot.

God hates sin. He loves us so much that He sent Jesus to stand between us and our sin. God hates sin, but loves the sinner. God’s forgiveness in our failures is one of the greatest gifts He has ever given us. God went to that cross in the body of Jesus. His last act before His death was to forgive a sinner and invite him into paradise.

If God can forgive me in my failures and sinfulness and still love me, then I must forgive these men who caused an accident where the outcome could have been far worse. I do not like the fact that they chose to get behind the wheel of their car while intoxicated. I do not like the fact that they exhibited total irresponsibility and complete lack of caring in their choices and actions. I do know that if they ask for forgiveness then God will forgive them just as He has forgiven me for all of my mis-deeds. So I ended my paper with the statement that I forgave them for their actions.

All of us have people in our lives who have hurt us. As Christians we do not have to like what people do against us, but we must, because of God’s grace and His forgiveness of our sins, forgive them. Even if we can’t say honestly that we love them, we can ask God to love them for us until we are able to love once again.

I will quote Max Lucado to close this writing, “God on a cross. The Creator being sacrificed for the creation. God convincing man once and for all that forgiveness still follows failure.”

Take joy in the journey, wear comfortable shoes and walk the path of forgiveness. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: